Sunday, August 15, 2010

Wellness Challenge - Post 3 - Introduction to BMR

Reality Check: how much calories does my body needs to do normal function stuff?

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the amount of energy our body needs to function at rest mode. Generally, a lady like me has a lower BMR than gentleman my age. So that means my body need less calories to function normally.

Here is Harris-Benedict formula to calculate BMR:
Adult male: 66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
Adult female: 655 + (4.3 x weight in lbs.) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

My BMR is = 655 + (4.3 x 273) + (4.7 x 64) - (4.7 x 28) = 1,998 calories


To count total calories you need in a day = BMR + physical activities + thermic effect of food (10% of your calories)

No comments:

Post a Comment